Monday, March 07, 2005

Poetclub

Poetclub

The poetry reading performs an important function in society, albeit, a grossly undervalued function. In years gone by, the carnival freak show performed much the same function. Way back then, citizens would visit the freak show as a way of balancing any feelings of inadequacy they might be having. What some have called the: “At least I’m not like them feeling”. This feeling helped citizens feel more at ease with themselves. Today the poetry reading performs that very same task.

I used to go to football games as a way of feeling more at ease with myself. I have never seen such a bigger concentration of freaks as what I’ve seen in a football crowd. I would sit silently amongst them, searching, searching for the biggest freak. And then I would find him, spit and globulets of meat pie flying from his open mouth, shouting insanely at the umpire. He would become my Powerfreak, which I would concentrate intently upon. I would repeat the mantra: “You are not him – you are not him”.

But I wanted more, Football freaks are not enough, anyone can become a Football freak. I was after a special kind of freak. And I found that freak at the poetry reading. Poetry freaks are better than Football freaks because your Poetry freak takes itself seriously. They strut and prance and preen, every one a genius. Well you can imagine my delight at discovering the poetry reading. Now there is not a weekend that goes by where I don’t attend a reading. I concentrate on a very different kind of freak now: the Powerpoet freak variety. And still the mantra can be heard within my head: “You are not him/her – you are not him/her”. Concentrate on finding your Powerpoet freak.

His name is Robert Lane, his name is Robert Lane, we are all named Robert Lane in death.

1 Comments:

Blogger robert lane said...

hi Clair, i don't deliberately write in e prime, but i do express my self in strange ways sometimes. e prime seems like a fine way to remove labling. thanks for your comments, regards, Robert.

7:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home